Planet Parker

Monday, September 25, 2006

Prime Minister's visit

I received an invitation today from my local parliamentarian Brendan Smith to attend a meeting that will be addressed by our dear and much loved Tee-shock Bartholomew Ahern next Thursday. I am grateful for such a sign of prestige. Now Brendan's a good bloke (some might say too "good" for his line of business). Some have even said (sotto voce of course) that his relative lack of political preferment and government promotion is not due to a lack of talent and skill on his part, but to a rumour that Burtie the Barrow-boy doesn't like him. If this be true it is yet another of Brendan's assets.

I won't be able to attend. My darling Rosie is paying me an extended visit and for the next two weeks I will only have eyes for her. Furthermore I don't think I'd be able to breathe at such an event. Now I don't speak of the many "party workers", many of them brain-dead and hopelessly misguided, who probably have had an original thought as often as they've had sex. No. I refer to the many hangers-on, "developers", tricks, assorted pond-life, "familiares" and members of the parastatal officer Corp who will be in attendance. Of course the event will attain wall-to-wall coverage in the local blobby-roll called the Anglo-Celt. But I'll be glad I'm not there. No doubt it will go well. Burtie need have no worries about awkward questions.