Planet Parker

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Racism and racists

Most people are by now well aware of how I feel about non-Irish people coming to work or live here. I welcome them unreservedly. I hope they have a good time and I also hope many of them will settle down and make their live here and maybe set up businesses. They don't frighten me. They do not tweak some deep-seated insecurity. Some of the women are beautiful, even though I'm spoken for, thanks to a girl who is herself not a native of Ireland.

I suppose I can understand how the advent of difference upsets people, especially older folk. For so long they were used to people leaving Ireland in droves, so the idea of large numbers of people coming in the opposite direction. However, my dear and lovely mother, Mary Parker, who passed away this July at the age of 88, had no such feelings of insecurity. Perhaps like her son she knew that the people who really make you feel scared are your white neighbours.

These people are not bad or evil in themselves. Their fears though are played upon by wicked and mischievous people.

What I would say to any of them is: I understand how you feel, but I don't agree with you. There is nothing to fear. I would also appeal to them to show some class and to eschew the cornerboy rhetoric. Alright, so you don't like foreigners, but why refer to them with a rare flight of allieration as "fucking foreigners"? Or the other phrase which disgusts me because of its innate violence "black bastards". If one quarter of the world's population cause them such unease why not call them niggers or coons - equally offensive but not as violent and full of hate as the preceding. This type of language is meant to demean non-Irish people, but the only ones whom it demeans are the Irish people who use it. It's the equivalent of calling people Fenian bastards, dirty Jews or enemies of the people. It leads inexorably in the direction of Auschwitz.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home